|The Governor Stanford was built in 1862 by Richard Norris & Sons. The Central Pacific's first locomotive, it was brought around Cape Horn in 1863 and reassembled in Sacramento. The 50 ton Standard American (4-4-0) has 57" drivers and 18" x 22" cylinders. Notice the crosshead-driven water pumps. This beautifully restored locomotive is on display at the California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento, California.|
Copyright 2004 Donald Nute
This page last modified: 6/11/2004.
Please send comments to: email@example.com