|Boston & Albany 39 was designed by master mechanic Wilson Eddy and built in the B&A shops in Springfield, Massachusetts, in 1876. Because of their precise running and reliability, Eddy-designed locomotives were know as "Eddy clocks". This is the last surviving example. Notice that the engine has a rectangular sand box and two steam cannons in place of the usual steam dome. B&A 39 is on display at the National Museum of Transportation, Kirkwood, Missouri. Close quarters make photography difficult, and the image on the left is a composite.|
Copyright 2004, 2007 Donald Nute
This page last modified: 8/18/2007.
Please send comments to: email@example.com