Spart & West 9 (0-4-0)

This locomotive is now on display at the Historic Railroad Shops in Savannah, Georgia. According to the plaque seen leaning against the engine, it was built by Porter by request as a 'cab-forward' locomotive circa 1921. Notice that the Johnson bar is on the left side of the simple backhead, which would be the right or engineer's side when the engine was operated cab-forward. It was used as an in-plant shunting engine at a sugar beet factory. It was later owned by Arien Shopping Centers Co. who arranged for its restoration as a standard Porter industrial design similar to ones of the 1880s. The restoration was completed in 1975.

Copyright 2004 Donald Nute

This page last modified: 1/7/2004.

Please send comments to: